A.C.T - Imaginary Friends CD (album) cover

IMAGINARY FRIENDS

A.C.T

UMUR
4 stars Imaginary Friends is the second full-length studio album by Swedish progressive rock/ metal act A.C.T. Rightly put in the Eclectic prog catagory the music by A.C.T is not easily catagorized as neither rock nor metal and they actually have a very distinct and interesting sound.

The music on the album holds elements from as different bands as Dream Theater ( the Images and Words album), Sieges Even ( the Sophisticated album), 10cc, Queen, ABBA, The Ark ( the Swedish pop/ rock band) and Saga. A mix of progressive metal elements and sophisticated pop/ rock makes this a great mix to my ears. The music is very melodic and most songs are easy to sing along to, but they are complicated enough in their structure to keep a prog head like myself entertained. The album consists of six normal length songs ( 4 to 7 seven minutes long) and a longer track ( 25:51 minutes long) called Relationships which is divided into 8 smaller parts. The music has an overall cheerful mood and the lyrics are generally tongue in cheek. Thereīs some great humour involved in this band and one of the biggest praises I will give A.C.T for the music on Imaginary Friends is that I feel so much alive when listening to it. It brings so much joy and good feelings into my life. A very positive experience. My favorite on the album is the fast paced A Supposed Tour but album opener Take It Easy also ranks up there. But as such all songs are excellent. Intelligent and memorable compositions.

The musicianship is of high class. This music might have an easy listening pop feeling to it but itīs certainly challenging in terms of technical playing. Keyboardist Jerry Sahlin uses some great sounds IMO and lead vocalist Herman Saming has a distinct high pitched voice that might take some getting used to but he is very skilled. His voice will be an aquired taste though.

The production is very enjoyable. Sharp and clean.

The debut album by A.C.T called Today's Report (1999) was a very enjoyable album but Imaginary Friends takes their positive and powerful concept even further in the right direction and receives a deserved 4 star rating from me. Imaginary Friends is recommended to people who wants some positive progressive music. I know Iīm happy.

UMUR | 4/5 |