Beggars Opera - Pathfinder CD (album) cover

PATHFINDER

Beggars Opera

UMUR
3 stars Pathfinder is the third full-length studio album by Scottish progressive rock artist Beggars Opera. The first two albums by the band Act One (1971) and Waters of Change (1971) were IMO some pretty good but rather average symphonic progressive rock albums so I wasnīt expecting anything much different with Pathfinder. And I think I have gotten exactly what I expected from the album.

The music is symphonic progressive rock. Compared to the previous albums the guitars are more prominent but Alan Parkīs vintage keyboard arsenal is still very much on display. You can say that Pathfinder is the least progressive album of the first three from the band but somehow itīs also the most memorable IMO. A song like MacArthur Park is quite catchy. Martin Griffiths theatrical vocal style can seem a bit too much at times but he is a really skilled vocalist. Thereīs a definite hard rock element in the music too and a band like Uriah Heep could be mentioned for reference even though the music on Pathfinder isnīt quite as heavy as the music of Uriah Heep.

The musicianship is good and Iīm sure Beggars Opera must have been a real treat live.

The production is not as good as I could have wished for, but on the other hand itīs not bad for those days and considering that this is not Close to the Edge the sound is allright.

Pathfinder does not improve my view on Beggars Opera as a second division symphonic progressive rock band. They make good music but unfortunately never reaches excellence and IMO thatīs the reason why they were only ever a footnote in the history of progressive rock. Thatīs of course my personal opinion and others might enjoy this more than I do. As I said itīs a pretty good album but it doesnīt deserve more than a 3 star rating in my book.

UMUR | 3/5 |