Patrick Rondat - Amphibia CD (album) cover

Patrick Rondat

3 stars 3.5 realy

Patrick's Rondat third album from 1996 is another good album in my collection, but doesn't reach the beauty and complexity of his next album On the edge from 1999. To some of you Amphibia - the title of the album is a masterpiece, but not for me, something tells me that this is not his best work, in my opinion. The music is less intristing than On the edge, my fav Rondat album for sure. Again Rondat have a realy strong line up including among others the never tired drumer Tommy Aldridge who made history with Ozzy Osbourne, Whitesnake and others. The musicianship is great , showing how good they understand each other in making music, some pieces are strong it can be. The title of the album Amphibia is an epic of over 25 minutes split in 6 parts, each one in diffrent mood from slow and mellow to bursting guitar passages, prog metal with classical leanings is the best to describe Amphibia. The part 2 and 4 are absolute outstanding in manner of composition, great musicianship and intristing moods. Beside the Amphibia piece another well played and great pieces are Camouflage, Shatterd chains, the rest are also good. I've always liked Rondat music, is mainly diffrent from the usual guitarist album, because he is more concentrate on compositions as a whole not only his skills on guitar, and every musicians has a good role in developing the sound of the album. Also on this album are featured two pieces as bonus tracks - Burn out - from his previous work Rape of the earth and aswell on On the edge album but ths time only acustic version and a live piece - Just for fun - from Amphibia tour from 1997. Aswell here is cover version of Jean Michele Jarre - Equinox IV - very well put it in prog metal zone and Vivaldi tribute - of course a piece dedicated to the master Vivaldi. So as a whole the album is full and with good pieces, from fast to slow pieces, from intricated to more rock and mainstream tracks, but I can't give more than 3 stars, rounded up, but because 3.5 is not allowed I will give only 3, a good one for sure, but I prefer the next one On the edge, who was a 4 star album for me, his best work to date. Anyway Amphibia is recommanded for many listners, specialy for those who are more towards guitar orientated albums, they for sure will enjoy this work, as I did.

b_olariu | 3/5 |