Porcupine Tree - Deadwing CD (album) cover

DEADWING

Porcupine Tree

Conor Fynes
5 stars 'Deadwing' - Porcupine Tree (10/10)

Is this the greatest modern prog rock album ever? And even if it's not, it's perfect in it's own way... Steven Wilson's genius comes in droves in crafting this spectacular, beautiful work of art. There are very few moments of progressive music that I think could bring someone to tears, and there are quite a few of those moments in 'Deadwing.' There is no way I could possibly think of this or rate 'Deadwing' as less than a perfect five. This music has had such an influence of me, and affected my life in such a beautiful way, the fact that this album is a masterpiece is undeniable.

The beauty really shines through in Wilson's ability to pick the best sounds to go together, and go ahead and combine them into a very rich wall of sound. The production values on this record are staggering. Every instrument comes through crystal clear, and all of the equalizing is done with finesse and skill.

While there isn't a major focus on technical or highly progressive playing in this album (or for that matter, any of Porcupine Tree's releases) there's a definate feeling that the musicians know what they're doing, and do it very well.

The songs 'Lazarus' and 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here' stand out to me as being the most beautiful. 'Lazarus,' despite it's simplicity and single-appeal, is one of my favourite songs ever and is perfect in it's concept and execution. 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here' is the longest song on the album, and has some very nice build ups, that help to heighten the emotional atmosphere.

Possibly even the best thing about this album is it's perfect flow. Each song feels like it's in the very best place in the album, relative to the other songs. 'Deadwing' is an album I could listen to over and over again and still be content. It's one of my very favourite albums, and deserves to be in the top rankings. Perfect.

Conor Fynes | 5/5 |