Yes - Tormato CD (album) cover

3 stars I must enjoy Yes's body of work too much as I don't consider TORMATO the abyss that most claim it to be. I am willing to admit that ''Circus of Heaven'' is one of the corniest things they've ever done, and the keyboards and bass sound very different (respectively like butterflies and sewer water), but I'm not seeing a monumental failure here.

In particular, ''Future Times/Rejoice'' opens the album on a powerful chord. Poppy in feel, but very uptempo and relentless in that regard. Yes's attempts at unusual styles are probably what set off fans the most as they try Medieval music (''Madrigal''; sounds like Gentle Giant in a way), punk (''Release, Release'') and symphonic ballads (''Onward''; easily the weakest track). The overall rougher sound is annoying at first, but I've since gotten accustomed to it and learned to appreciate ''Don't Kill the Whale'' and ''On the Silent Wings of Freedom'' for what they're worth.

It's more awkward than previous Yes albums, but there's plenty of material to keep the prog fans interested.

Sinusoid | 3/5 |