Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus CD (album) cover

Emerson Lake & Palmer

5 stars I would almost never be able to call an album a masterpiece if I did not like every song on the album, but Tarkus is the exception. As many reviewers on this site have said, side 2 of Tarkus is far inferior to the title track and many have called it just filler. In many ways, I have to agree with these reviewers, but I strongly disagree with the extent to which it drags down the quality of the album. The shorter tracks on side 2 get criticized because they pale in comparison to the masterpiece that precedes them, but in actuality most of them are decent songs and nothing is unlistenable.

Enough about side B, lets get to the reason this album is a masterpiece, the title track. Tarkus is an epic that every prog fan, even those critical of ELP, should love. Do not be confused by the way the tracks are listed on this site, it is all very much one song that flows perfectly through the different parts of the song. The track maintains a high degree of energy as all members of the band deliver outstanding instrumental performances. For me it is definitely one of the greatest compositions in progressive rock history and it makes this album absolutely essential for a progressive rock fan. I know many people are divided over ELP, and I am not a huge fan of the band myself, but I consider Tarkus to be absolutely essential for any prog fan.

rpe9p | 5/5 |