King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic CD (album) cover

King Crimson

4 stars I just got this album a week ago and it is immediately clear why some people love this album and some do not like it. If you are one of those people who like progressive rock, but can't stand jazz or experimental music, then this album is not for you. King Crimson's debut album and possibly red are the only ones that I would tell someone to listen to if they don't like the jazzy experimental side of prog. On the other hand, if you aren't one of those people, then I think you will find this album to be thoroughly enjoyable. The first half of the title track starts the album by slowly building up, then bursting into one of the heaviest songs I have heard from King Crimson. This first track is probably my favorite on the album, it is a jazzy, but heavy track featuring great instrumentals. Overall, this is a very unique album in my opinion as it blends elements of jazz, prog metal (before it even really existed), and experimental music. Fans of the band will probably love this album, but be careful if you are a general prog fan looking to get into king crimson, because this is not the place to start. I enjoy this album a lot, but it is really too jazzy and experimental to be essential for all prog fans. Lark's tongues is great album for many, but it is not for everyone.
rpe9p | 4/5 |