Mercury Rev - Boces CD (album) cover

BOCES

Mercury Rev

UMUR
3 stars Boces is the second full-length studio album by American experimental/ psychadelic rock artist Mercury Rev. I found the bandīs debut album Yerself Is Steam (1991) to be an enjoyable but flawed affair, so I was hesitant to expect too much of Boces. As it is the band travels down the same lane on Boces as they did on the debut with a few improvements though.

The music is still experimental/ psychadelic rock and not very commercial to my ears. They must have had some commercial succes though as they played on the Lollapalooza festival during the tour for the album. Allthough the words experimental and psychadelic sounds great to my ears the album is not overtly experimental. This is still basicly alternative rock with some strange psychadelic noises and a few experiments along the way. Songs like the two 10 minute long tracks Meth of a Rockette's Kick and Snorry Mouth does have long noisy and psychadelic sections but the songs are generally pretty straight. The melodies take some time to sink in and thatīs usually a feature I enjoy in music but in this case I must admit that Iīm a little in doubt if itīs because the melodies just arenīt that memorable.

The musicianship is good and I enjoy the sections where Suzanne Thorpeīs flute is heard. A strange feature in the music for sure. Lead vocalist David Baker who hasnīt the most remarkable voice in the world is somehow a great asset to the album anyway. Heīs got some sort of special thing that makes his performance special. This would be the last album to feature David Baker. He would cite musical and personal disputes as the reasons for his departure. David Baker has later recorded an album using the name Shady.

The production while professional isnīt really to my taste. It lacks warmth IMO.

Boces is not an album to my taste but I acknowledge that itīs a quality product and I do partially enjoy it. 3 small stars is deserved for an album with many good ideas but with a mixed outcome.

UMUR | 3/5 |