No-Man - Schoolyard Ghosts CD (album) cover

No-Man

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Marty McFly
Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars First, I'll break order of review by bringing third song here. Switching between noise and calm parts can be good sometimes. But as shown in Pigeon Drummer, I'm almost afraid of these loud passages, because it's acceleration from 0-100 in half of a second. It's simply too sudden, too unnatural and one don't have time to prepare for it. OK, let's get back.

As I understand this, it's some kind concept album about childhood memories, some of them are bad and that there's Steven Wilson involved (big three of "involving names in prog, Portnoy, Wilson and Stolt) and of course, I was interested. This is my first No-Man album, so I can't compare (except few similarities with PT), but I don't like it. It's more like feeling. But fortunately, the terrible experience of Pigeon doesn't happen again. Except this one, this album contains only calm songs. Really calm, like almost totally dead. Some may call it atmospheric and indeed, it has some kind of feeling shining from it (can sound actually shine?), but it's really not my cup of tea. I want more, or at least anything going on.

Very slow music, playing with sounds, because even I was able to overcome evil Drummer, I found nothing on other side, or almost nothing, except few good ideas (such as in Truenorth). Which is sad, because first two songs are quite good.

So 4(-), one strange suggestion, try to play games like F.E.A.R. 2 or Condemned the Criminal Origins, where abandoned school at night, full of (let's say) demons location appears. And guess what, I get the same feeling when listening this. It's story about past and yes, "Pigeon Drummer" is terrible song with "evil" sound, but it's all part of the play. I have to say that it took me long, long time to overcome this and enjoy this album

Marty McFly | 4/5 |