Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow CD (album) cover

SURREALISTIC PILLOW

Jefferson Airplane

Proto-Prog

UMUR
3 stars Surrealistic Pillow is the second full-length studio album by American west-coast psychadelic rock act Jefferson Airplane. The group´s debut album Takes Off (1966) was an enjoyable and good album IMO and I expected great things from this follow up album and I can tell you that I am not disappointed. Since the debut there´s been two lineup changes. Grace Slick has replaced Signe Toly Anderson on female vocals and Skip Spence is replaced by Spencer Dryden on the drums. The album was a major succes and peaked at #3 on Billboard's Pop Albums chart and spawned two hit singles in White Rabbit and Somebody to Love which peaked at #8 and #5 respectively on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Both songs are Grace Slick penned tracks.

While Takes Off was mainly rooted in blues and American folk and generally didn´t have many psychadelic elements, Surrealistic Pillow adds psychadelic elements to Jefferson Airplane´s sound to great effect. The music is not overtly experimental or psychadelic but the songs are rather simple pop/ rock songs with psychadelic tendencies. Songs like She Has Funny Cars, White Rabbit and Plastic Fantastic Lover all represent the new style of the band. The songs mostly have male lead vocals but a couple of the songs have Grace Slick on lead vocals.

The musicianship is great. Tight interplay, lots of exciting guitars and great vocal harmonies.

The production is organic but edgy when it needs to be. Producer Rick Jarrard has made a good sound for the music.

Surrealistic Pillow is a good album and takes Jefferson Airplane´s sound to a new level. 3 BIG stars are well deserved and I´ll be looking forward to listening to more from the band. I can´t believe I haven´t given their music more spins before now. A really good band.

UMUR | 3/5 |