Shadow Gallery - Tyranny CD (album) cover

Shadow Gallery

5 stars Stiletto in the sand...

Shadow Gallery's attempt at a concept album, and my oh my do they succeed! This has become one of my favorite albums, over time. It is highly melodic, yet highly technical and downright furious at times (like the opener, Stiletto in the sand). And the melodic parts seem almost unreal as to be called prog. They are so catchy it should almost be illegal! But, interspersed within this catchy maelstrom of heavy rock, there is also a biting amount of passionate technical performing. The instrumentals are refreshing,a nd the vocals...Baker is a vocal genius. Each song feels like a gold mine of progressive metal.

On to the story/lyrics. The concept is original, and the lyrics are strong. Stiletto in the sand, thrust down in anger... In reference to weapons of mass destruction... I helped to design them This is somewhat like the story to Pain of Salvation's One hour by the concrete lake only presented in a more convincing way (in my opinion).

This is an essential progressive metal album, with an original and well thought out concept. 5 stars!

Alitare | 5/5 |