David Bowie - Tonight CD (album) cover

David Bowie

3 stars Aw, C'mon! what's going on here? Bowie will release worse than this in 3 years time. I actually quite like this album. And yeah - there is half an albums worth of cover songs on it, but it's still better than anything 'Tin Machine' did. I can't bring myself to slag this one. It has a great front cover (I'm a Graphic Artist in Scotland), 'Loving the Alien' is superb and the one truly odd tune on the album, 'Don't Look Down' is Bowie for dark quiet nights, 'God Only Knows', is... well... rubbish really.

Hey, never mind! here's side 2: 'Neighbourhood Threat' Good upbeat shouty Bowie with funky guitar, great!. Blue Jean - well we all know about one that don't we?. 'Tumble and Twirl': Has there ever been another Bowie song like this? No. I don't think so, therefore it lies in the pantheon of Bowie oddities. 'I Keep Forgetting' - Pah! Another cover version: but the man pulls it off with some aplomb. 'Dancing With the Big Boys': best tune on the album? perhaps, but I'd go for the strange Loving the Alien before this Iggy Pop cover. Gosh, it's a right mish mash!

Dobermensch | 3/5 |