Rick Wakeman - White Rock  CD (album) cover

WHITE ROCK

Rick Wakeman

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
2 stars Apparently, this album was written as a soundtrack to some sport event - a winter Olympics or some such thing (I'm sorry but I'm not the sport fan Rick is, I know extremely little about sport and sporting events). White Rock is a varied and pretty typical Rick Wakeman album, bearing most of his musical trademarks. I believe that he put very little effort into writing and recording this material, but perhaps he really didn't need to!! He could, at this stage in his career, churn out album after album and keep a decent level of quality (the album-making-speed wouldn't decline, but sadly the level of quality would considerably during some later stages of his career). This album sometimes feels a bit improvised.

The melodies here are quite memorable and the arrangements reasonably interesting, for a sport soundtrack anyway! White Rock is a mixture of short beautiful piano pieces and intense keyboard pieces dominated by Moog. There are also drums but no vocals apart from a choir. Some numbers later became live favourites on Rick's one man piano shows, particularly After The Ball.

On some songs he strains his Moog a bit above the tonal limits, which is a bit annoying to my ears. Particularly on the opening track where he holds a single note (if it were a real note!) for too long.

I don't think this album is all that good, but it surely has its moments. Still, I would recommend this for fans.

SouthSideoftheSky | 2/5 |