Isis - Oceanic CD (album) cover

OCEANIC

Isis

Experimental/Post Metal

Alitare
3 stars A beginning, and an end...

Oceanic is what lays the groundwork for what I see as Isis' best album Panopticon. This is solid post metal, and is played with a somewhat alluring sense of ambiance.

But, it feels like mediocre post metal. The recording is thick and clear, with a Wagner-esque style of wall of sound. The wall of sound that can be quite a delight to the ears. I just didn't get much more out for it than any other average release. The songs seem to drone, and there is not much diversity, which would be better implemented in Panopticon.

As enjoyable to listen to the songs as it is, they don't seem to give me that goose bump factor that other releases have. For that I say this is a fine album, but not Isis' shining moment. Three Stars.

Alitare | 3/5 |