Mercury Rev -  See You On The Other Side  CD (album) cover

SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE

Mercury Rev

UMUR
3 stars See You On The Other Side is the third full-length studio album by American experimental rock act Mercury Rev and the first not to feature original lead singer David Baker. The album did not do as well commercially as the band had hoped for. The previous album Boces (1993) peaked at #43 in the UK charts while See You On The Other Side only peaked at #108. A big step down for the band in commercial terms and a great disappointment for the them.

After David Baker left, guitarist Jonathan Donahue took over the lead vocal role and his soft approach is very different from David Baker´s more franticvocal style. The music on the two first albums were a kind of frantic psychadelic rock while the music on See You On The Other Side is much more mellow and focused album. I hear influences from the most psychadelic Beatles tracks but Pink Floyd ( Meddle (1971), Obscured By Clouds (1972) period) is IMO the biggest influence on the music. Those influences are mixed with a more modern mainstream rock sound which makes the music sound fresh to my ears. Not all songs are mellow. Songs like Empire State and Young Man´s Stride have some really energetic sections. The mix of psychadelic pop and mainstream rock is really succesful IMO. One of the great features on this album is the way that Suzanne Thorpe´s flute and especially her French Horn playing is incorporated into the songs. Her presense is much more dominant on this album than it was on the first albums from the band. The many psychadelic sound effects courtesy of Grasshopper really adds much to the music as well.

The musicianship is excellent on the album and in addition to the already mentioned musicians I would like to mention drummer Jimy Chambers because his playing on the album is really good and energetic which helps the songs to gain in power.

The production is excellent. I really love the way the drums sound, but every instrument is well balanced and the vocals are pleasant.

After listening to the two first albums by Mercury Rev which didn´t really suit my taste even though the quality of the music, the performance and the production were good, I´m in safe hands with See You On The Other Side. This album is very enjoyable and much more to my taste. The first time I listened to the album I was sure I was gonna give it a 4 star rating but the more I´ve listened I´ve settled with a BIG 3 star rating. A promising change in style from Mercury Rev. I can´t wait to hear more. How this album was a commercial failure compared to the more experimental Boces is a complete mystery to me. This one has much more commercial potential while still maintaining its artistic integrity IMO. A very recommendable album for fans of mainly soft ( as mentioned there are rock songs on the album as well) and slightly psychadedic pop/ rock.

UMUR | 3/5 |