Krobak - The Diary of the Missed One CD (album) cover

THE DIARY OF THE MISSED ONE

Krobak

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
3 stars The Diary of the Missed One is the debut full-length album by Ukrainian one man post rock act Krobak. Igor Sidorenko plays all instruments on the album (guitars, bass, drums, samples programming) and it is emphasized that no keyboards were used during the recording sessions which took place in the spring of 2007. There are three tracks on the album. The songs vary from 11 minutes to 20 minutes in length and the album has a total playing time of 47:00 minutes.

The music is slow building instrumental post rock which is clearly influenced by Godspeed You! Black Emperor ( at least to my rather untrained post rock ears) and if Iīm not mistaken I also hear a bit of Mike Oldfield in the music even though Iīm not sure itīs intensional. Normally I crave more busy music but for a thoughtful quiet time this melancholic and beautiful music is very suiting. The songs have both long atmospheric parts and more intense climaxes. A powerful dynamic mix. As mentioned there are no keyboards on the album so the dominant instrument in the music is guitar. Often multilayered and melodic. Not commercial melodic though. The drums which Iīm sure are programmed are not the most interesting part of the music and a real drummer could have worked wonders here IMO. The 20:52 minute long The Fried Bull's Blues is my favorite on the album. Itīs also the most experimental song of the three.

The production is a bit too lo-fi for my taste, but still enjoyable. Itīs not comparable to professional productions though. This sounds like itīs been recorded on Igor Sidorenkoīs computer and not in a professional recording studio. Itīs probably an aquired taste if youīll enjoy this kind of production.

Igor Sidorenko is a good musician and composer IMO. His playing is pationate and his love for the music shines through clearly.

The Diary of the Missed One is an interesting album but I have to be honest and say that Iīm not the right target group for it. I donīt seem to have the patience for music this slow building, but on the other hand I do enjoy it when Iīm in the right mood. If you enjoy slow building melancholic post rock I would recommend that you check it out though as there are many good qualities in the music on this album. For me personally this album is somewhere between a 2 and a 3 star rating. The production drags my rating down a bit but I greatly respect the one man effort and the emotions put into the adventerous compositions. Therefore this is a 3 star album for me. Before I end my review I would like to mention the beautiful cover art. I donīt know why but from the first time I saw that picture it just sucked me in. A good and interesting choice for cover art.

UMUR | 3/5 |