Symphony X - Paradise Lost CD (album) cover

Symphony X

2 stars After reading some favourable reviews of 'Paradise Lost' I had decided to get the album into my hands. Eventually the day came when I could sit down and press the play button. I listened to these recordings once, twice, three times trying to find all the things which make many people regard 'Paradise Lost' as a masterpiece. Unfortunately, all that I found was disappointment and boredom. The guys from the band are technically really good but what they play is just so obvious. I had an impression I could heard tunes like these many times before. I felt as if I had got some heavy metal band from the beginning of the 90' or even from the 80'. The vocal had just intensified my feelings. Perhaps if 'Paradise Lost' had been recorded 10 years ago.To me it sounds too ordinary; there is no creativity, just worn out motives. Quite kitschy. By many reviewers Paradise Lost was found as a 'Materpiece of a progressive rock music'. The think is that it's not even, so called, 'progressive rock'. I wouldn't even rate this album as a good in general.

So that 'Paradise Lost' didn't find a place in my Heavy-Prog albums collection among works by Anekdoten, Tool, Indukti, Riverside, Kayo Dot and others. 'Paradise Lost' will be a gift for one of my friends who still enjoys 'Iron Maiden', 'Megadeth' and older tunes of 'Metallica'. Maybe he will like it.

Marcin | 2/5 |