Fruupp - The Prince of Heaven's Eyes CD (album) cover

THE PRINCE OF HEAVEN'S EYES

Fruupp

UMUR
3 stars The Prince of Heaven's Eyes is the third full-length studio album by Irish symphonic progressive rock act Fruupp. I´ve enjoyed the first two albums by the band Future Legends (1973) and Seven Secrets (1974), but never found them more than average for the genre so I was interested to learn if they would impress me a bit more with their third effort.

The music is in the same style as on the first two albums by the band. Symphonic progressive rock in the British tradition. Bands like Genesis, Beggar´s Opera and Greenslade should give you an idea of how this music sounds. Unfortunately the music on this album does not hold the high standards of Genesis and my feelings towards Fruupp as a very average band in the genre doesn´t change with this album either. Their biggest problem is lack of identity in their music IMO. If I heard their music being played and didn´t know from the start that it was them playing I wouldn´t be able to recognise that it was them. All songs on the album are good, melodic and symphonic, but none really stick in my head and it is in the songwriting department the band is weakest.

The musicianship is good and the warm and pleasant seventies production is good and suits the music well.

The Prince of Heaven's Eyes is not an album I listen to very often and I will put Fruupp in the same catagory of second rate symphonic prog bands from the seventies as bands like Beggar´s Opera and Greenslade ( I prefer Greenslade though). Fruupp´s music is actually pretty good and pleasant but unfortunately unremarkable in the end. A 3 star rating is the most I can give this album and I might be a bit too kind.

UMUR | 3/5 |