Arachnoid - Arachnoid CD (album) cover

ARACHNOID

Arachnoid

UMUR
4 stars Arachnoïd is the debut and sole full-length studio album by French symphonic prog rock act Arachnoïd. The album was originally released in 1978 but has since been re-released on CD by Musea Records with 4 bonus tracks.

The music is dark and sombre symphonic prog rock. Lots of mellotron, piano, organ and synths create the atmosphere in the music. There´s some really good guitar parts here too and a bit of flute as well. The music is mostly instrumental but there are occasional French language vocals and speaking. Most people tend to think that the vocals are weak but I must say that I enjoy them. They are not outstanding but suit the music well. Comparisons can be made to bands like King Crimson, Genesis ( in their darkest hour), Anekdoten, Areknamés and I also hear a bit of Goblin here because of the sometimes eerie horror atmosphere on the album. The seven original tracks are the highlights on the album so take the bonus tracks as a free gift.

The musicianship is excellent. Fans of the sound of multible keyboard players should find this album very interesting as there is so much going on at the same time here. Really fashinating. The rythm section is also very strong and powerful.

The production is warm and pleasant yet with the more edgy end-seventies sound pushing on.

This is one of those forgotten gems that progressive rock fans are always on the look-out for. An excellent dark symphonic prog rock album and a welcome addition to my collection. It´s really too bad Arachnoïd only released this sole album but I guess the climate for progressive rock in 1978 wasn´t really that warm anymore. A deserved 4 star rating and a big recommendation from me.

UMUR | 4/5 |