Gamalon - Gamalon CD (album) cover

5 stars This album cooks! One of the few fairly modern jazz/rock fusion albums that deserves a 5 star rating. Gamalon probably needed a better record label or promotion, I'm not sure which. They certainly do not deserve obscurity. All instrumental with memorable melodies. Points of reference would be Gongzilla (without the vibes), Bon, Dixie Dregs(without the country influence) and early Level 42(the instrumentals). Just a great collective offering. Everyone plays with passion and finesse. A drummer's delight, a bassist's delight and especially highly recommended for guitarists. I'm not sure which guitarist is the soloist, but I must mention both George Puleo and Bruce Brucato. Great chops. Check out their video here at Serious business. Can hold their own with the greats such as Holdsworth and Morse. I've noticed several used CD copies on for no more than $6. Get it while you can because it'll be an obscure one to find after you read this. First come first served. A must for any fusion fanatic. Get it for the opener _Billy's Saloon_ and _Cabin Fever_ alone. Also worth mentioning as a GAMALON reference is Ozric Tentacles without the spacey keyboards.
Gooner | 5/5 |