Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland CD (album) cover

Jimi Hendrix

4 stars Jimi Hendrix is a dish best experienced live.

I don't have a lot of Hendrix in my collection, but this one happened to be the second CD I bought, back in the late '80's. When so much stuff was being released on CD from the LP masters, Ryko had the decency to put out something of true quality. The first mixdowns of the original multi-track recordings were transferred to digital and digitally mixed and mastered. "this 70+-minute program makes full use of both the expanded frequency range and playing capacity of the Compact Disc". Oooh! Ah, the days when CDs were a novelty.

It really is a fine set of his music. Like any great live album you don't get reguritations of studio material and when he does covers, he puts the originals to shame.

Hendrix, Redding, and Mitchell made for one smoking trio. Joined on Killing Floor by Jack Cassady of the Jefferson Airplane.

Kind of spooky that the original concert happened over three nights, starting one day after my sister was born. (I was three years old.) Two more years and Hendrix would be gone leaving us to wonder where he might have gone musically...

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |