Jimi Hendrix - Cornerstones-Jimi Hendrix 1967-1970  CD (album) cover

Jimi Hendrix

3 stars I never considered myself a true Hendrix fan but same as with the Golden Earring I have a lot of respect for him and his Experience and therefore I bought this compilation one day. And another similarity with the Golden Earring is that also in Hendrix' case it was a tough decision whether he should be included or not. Because both have a bit of prog in their music albeit that in GE's case it's a matter of regular prog where with Jimi and his band it was more the psychedelic element that was obvious. And thus he could be called a sort of proto-psychedelic/space.

And in fact I just listened to this entire compilation and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jimi Hendrix was a source of inspiration to a band like Hawkwind, as we know the most prolific representative of psychedelic/space. Maybe even to Oceansize although I have to admit I only heard a few moments of similarity with this band.

But besides this psychedelic/space aspect there is also a common classic rock element in Hendrix' music. And that must have been the reason for the long and tough discussion about his inclusion. The first few songs on this compilation are good examples of classic rock songs with Hey Joe and All along the Watchtower as best two. Voodoo Chile, Star spangled Banner and Stone Free are the more psychedelic tracks and with The Wind cries Mary, Have you ever been, Drifting and Angel we even have a few ballads on this release.

Even though this Cornerstones contains some of my favourite Hendrix songs like Voodoo Chile, Stone Free and All along the Watchtower it also misses out on a few, mainly Little Wing and Red House. And that's the reason I will not reward it with one of the very high scores but with three stars even though it's close to 3,5.

progrules | 3/5 |