Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

5 stars Headlong into the chilly night as swift as an arrow...

VDGG's supposed greatest achievement. There are but only four songs on this album, which probably won't be a problem to most people on this site, and it most certainly isn't for me.

The first thing I noticed was the pure strength and emotion of Peter Hamill. He is a vocal wizard, and along with the dark organ and saxophone lines, makes for a frightening and encompassing experience. There isn't too much guitar work here outside of laying rhythm, and I like it that way. These guys have a very unique sound, and don't pull any punches in their aural assault.

Starting off with the soft, almost warmly vaudeville Undercover Man, you'll also notice Peter Hamill's penchant for penning amazing and deep lyrics. The entire album is drenched with this fantastic sense of darkly English mysticism and fear. Following the heels of the first track is the fierce attack of Scorched Earth. Plowing into your skull and melting your mind with skillful playing and rapturous power.

Side two is lead of with the frightening Arrow. Peter rips vocally and will scare the hell out of you, assuredly. The screeching lines he lets out come out of almost nowhere. The end of the album is lead on by the equally emotional and rousing The Sleepwalkers. With some brilliant lyrics, I might add. Hamill plays with words so easily, and it astounds me each time I hear it. His dramatic vocals set the scene with soft and entrancing instrumentation backs him along. It ends this amazing album so fittingly.

I was amazed at first listen of this band, I was afraid they might not be to my liking, but I was blown away. Truly a progressive masterpiece. Five strong stars.

Alitare | 5/5 |