The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed CD (album) cover

DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED

The Moody Blues

UMUR
3 stars Days Of Future Passed is the second full-length studio album by UK progressive pop/ rock act The Moody Blues. A giant step in the right direction compared to their somewhat traditional and unremarkable British rīnīb influenced pop/ rock debut The Magnificent Moodies (1966). The Moody Blues were approached by Deram records in late 1967. The record company wanted the band to record a rock version of classical composer Dvorakīs Symphony No. 9 ( New World Symphony) in order to test their latest recording techniques. The band accepted the offer with the condition that there would be no interference from Deram record executives in the artistic process. When the band entered the studio with conductor/ arranger Peter Knight the agenda had changed though and the band convinced Peter Knight to built orchestral parts around original pop/ rock compositions written by the band. The album was recorded over a three week period with the band recording in one studio while the The London Festival Orchestra conducted by Peter Knight recorded their parts in the studio next door. There were mixed receptions from Deram record excecutives when they heard the final result but Days Of Future Passed was given a release on the 11th of November 1967 in the UK ( released in April 1968 in the US).

The music is a mix of classical orchestra parts and sixties pop/ rock with a few poems thrown in too. All songs seque into each other to make a concept and as the titles of the songs suggest the lyrical concept is about the different hours of the day ( very simply explained, thereīs a bit more to be heard if you give it time). In addition to the orchestral parts which are both in seperate sections but also integrated parts of songs, thereīs the use of mellotron in the music as well that could hold interest to fans of progressive rock. The vocals are smooth and pleasant and weīre treated with some really great harmony vocals too. While all songs are good on the album thereīs one track that stands out as being the real highlight. Night: Nights in White Satin is one of those songs that gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. Itīs so extremely beautiful. A true evergreen.

The production is without a doubt one of the best and most professional productions Iīve heard from that time. Warm and pleasant.

Listening to Days Of Future Passed itīs hard not to acknowledge the importance and groundbreaking nature of the album. There are not many albums from 1967 that can be considered this progressive. But while I find this a very adventurous and innovative album my personal interest in listening to the album for my own pleasure actually isnīt that big. I really enjoy the music as soon as the band plays and thereīs singing but the orchestral parts are the kind of classical arrangements that reminds me of Disney movie scores. I donīt say this to sound disrespectful but thatīs really how it sounds to me. Therefore I can only give a 3 star rating. This is of course a must hear album if youīre interested in the early history of progressive rock though.

UMUR | 3/5 |