Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk CD (album) cover

Captain Beefheart

4 stars This is quite a brilliant album and I enjoy it every listen. It's a very raw recording, featuring an eight and on some tracks a four spore record tape sometimes. At some moments some instruments are distorted like hell, but all this rawness gives the recording a good atmosphere.

All songs are really worth a listen, but the best songs are in my opinion: Zig Zag Wanderer, I'm Glad, Electricity, Yellow Brick Road, Grown So Ugly and Autumn's child. The bonus tracks on the CD version-, which I own-, are less representitive. This is not 'your weirdest avant-garde record', but the record still sounds very anarchistic. If you are looking for a progrock raw record featuring a theremin, this might be the best place to start. I couldn't resist ending this review with the word: Eeelllleeecctrziccccittttttttaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!

Foolsdrummer | 4/5 |