Yowie - Cryptooology CD (album) cover

CRYPTOOOLOGY

Yowie

RIO/Avant-Prog

UMUR
2 stars Cryptooology is the debut full-length studio album by American math rock/ avant garde rock act Yowie. The album is really short with a total playing time of 29:57 minutes but I promise you that its more than enough for me.

Yowie is a power trio with drums, guitar and bass as the instrumentation and their music is deliberately without any form of recognisable melody. This is totally over the top and dissonant instrumental math rock/ avant garde rock with rythm changes every second and a total disregard for hooks of any kind ( at least to these ears). I think of bands like Collapsar and Dysrhythmia but its important that I emphasize that I enjoy those bands because there are recognisable elements in their crazy musical exploits while I find it hard to appreciate Yowies search for the ultimative dissonant and complex version of the genre. All seven songs on the album have female names but Im not sure I would be flattered if I was a woman and someone named one of these weird sounding songs after me. When all this is said there is some twisted and perverted part of me that takes some kind of pleasure in Cryptooology and it is hard not to some degree acknowledge the outstanding musicianship, the visionary approach to songwriting and the adventurous choice of notes. This is in other words very much an aquired taste but Im sure that theres an audience for this kind of music out there.

The production is a bit garage low-fi sounding but it suits the music well.

In many ways an interesting album but Im having a hard time listening to it for enjoyment. I keep thinking of it as some sort of crazy musical experiment that probably holds most interest for other musicians and not much for the ordinary non musician listener. Ill give 2 stars for the outstanding musicianship and the adventurous attitude, but I would have prefered something a bit more recognisable in the songs. Maybe next time?

UMUR | 2/5 |