Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD (album) cover

PAWN HEARTS

Van Der Graaf Generator

The Truth
5 stars Van Der Graaf Generator should've gotten just about ten times more appreciation than they did. This album is an amazing one! Man-Erg has just about the best saxophone in a rock song I've ever heard (except in Pink Floyd's, Money of course) and it is an awesome song. The lyrics touch me deeply telling the story of a man whose body is the setting of the battle between angels and demons. Lemmings is an exceptionally good song and A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is a prog masterpiece. APOLHK has a nice lyrical theme, talking about a lighthouse keeper who is fighting depression and the fight is very well displayed with Hammill's theatricity. If you have the remaster like me you're gonna want to try out Theme One. It is an awesome song that gets caught in your head yet you want it to be caught in your head.

EDIT SOME TIME LATER:

Must have been hard for me to describe this album awhile back and it isn't hard to see why. Now that I've matured a little more I wish I could explain the album better but it is really beyond description... An emotion-filled album that any fan of progressive rock will probably like. The songs on this record are unique, the lyrics are inspirational and the vocals are heartfelt. A true great of it's era.

The Truth | 5/5 |