Umphrey's McGee - The Bottom Half CD (album) cover

Umphrey's McGee

3 stars Local band does so-so.

After being completely blown away with my first Umphrey's McGee album, Mantis, I knew I had found a band whose catalog I'd need to "raid". Local Band Does O.K. was quite good also, so I went for their two currently available live DVDs. Those were just as impressive. Then I went for Anchor Drops and Safety In Numbers. Again two more hits. Then I ran into a wall with this one. Maybe their least progressive and my first disappointment. May be over-saturation.

Turns out this is on one disc a collection of songs or alternate takes that didn't make the cut for Safety In Numbers. The second disc is miscellaneous outtakes. All I can say is they must have been on a creative roll when they did Safety to have another disc's worth of material, but I'm kind of wishing I'd saved my money for something else. Not to slam the music on the main disc, it's just that stylistically it's on the whole less prog than what I'd been becoming accustomed to. But, what the hell, even their lesser stuff is quite good.

It may be intentionally ironic that the album cover is symbolic of the contents.

Slartibartfast | 3/5 |