Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers CD (album) cover

VOLUNTEERS

Jefferson Airplane

Proto-Prog

UMUR
3 stars Volunteers is the fifth full-length studio album by American psychadelic west coast rock act Jefferson Airplane. The album is notable for being one of the first albums recorded on a 16-track recorder ( something almost thought of as futuristic in those days). The album was another success for the band and within two months of its release it went gold. Volunteers would be the last album to feature original member Marty Balin ( guitar, vocals) and drummer Spencer Dryden.

The music is rock with some psychadelic elements. The band did move a bit away from that sound on the album though and Volunteers is more of a straight rock album IMO. The music is as always inspired by blues and american folk as a basis but the band has evolved beyond that over the last couple of albums. There are some really enjoyable songs on this album and favorites of mine like Hey Fredrick, Wooden Ships and Eskimo Blue Day are really excellent examples of Jefferson Airplane when they are best. There are a couple of country inspired songs on the album in The Farm and especially A Song For All Seasons that I don´t enjoy much though so not all is good to my ears. The lyrics are generally very political ( anti-Vietnam, anti-authority).

The vocals are powerful and biting as ever and the musicianship is overall excellent. Something I really enjoy is Jorma Kaukonen´s quite fierce guitar playing. A notisable guest on the album is pianist Nicky Hopkins who appear on many tracks. I´m not happy about his appearance though. He´s a good musician but I enjoyed Jefferson Airplane´s sound better without the piano.

The production is good but I actually enjoyed the sound on the two predecessors After Bathing at Baxter's (1967) and Crown of Creation (1968) more.

Volunteers is an enjoyable album by Jefferson Airplane and I will rate it 3 stars. It´s not my favorite from the band but definitely a worthwhile purchase.

UMUR | 3/5 |