Sigur Rós - ( ) CD (album) cover

( )

Sigur Rós

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
4 stars () is the third ( not counting the Von brigđi (1998) remix album) full-length studio album by Icelandic post rock act Sigur Ros. I had a hard introduction to the band as I began with their very ambient and experimental debut album Von (1997). An album I am not very fond of. But with the second album from the band Ágćtis Byrjun (1999) my interest in the band´s music was imidiately ignited. A very beautiful and atmospheric post rock album that I greatly enjoy. So I was very excited before listening to (). it wasn´t an imidiate love though and it´s taken me about a half year to really appreciate the album. The album consists of eight songs and have a total playing time of 71:10 minutes. In other words it´s a very long album with some pretty long songs. The album has to date sold more than 500.000 copies which must be considered quite the achivement with music as non-commercial as this is ( at least to my ears).

The music is slow building and repetitive but immensely beautiful and atmospheric. The songs are generally more introvert, quiet and dark than the songs on Ágćtis Byrjun which by the way are very dark and melancholic too. Melancholic is actually the best word to describe the music on the album and if you look for bleak melancholy in music this is definitely the place to go. The high pitched singing from lead vocalist/ guitarist Jón Thor Birgission are like cries of sorrow or a song of mourning. while the music can be both quiet and simple there´s also moments of crushing beauty and awe inducing almost symphonic sections. This kind of music requires patience from someone like me ( I usually crave more busy music) but I´ve given the album a fair amount of spins and it´s grown on me with every new play to a point where I just can´t stop listening to it. I´ve become addicted.

The musicianship is excellent. A great emotional performance from the band. On most songs on the album the band are accompanied by the Amiina string quartet which helps give the songs a pleasant organic feel.

The production is fantastic. It gives me the feeling of being in another world or in another part of this one.

() is a fantastic album by Sigur Ros. I can´t say if I prefer this one over Ágćtis Byrjun but it´s definitely equal to that album in terms of quality and emotional impact on me. A big 4 star rating is deserved as well as a big recommendation to check out this album if you´re interested in melancholic and atmospheric post rock.

UMUR | 4/5 |