Sigur Rós - Hvarf / Heim CD (album) cover

HVARF / HEIM

Sigur Rós

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
4 stars Hvarf-Heim is a compilation album by Icelandic post rock act Sigur Ros. It´s a double CD release. The first CD is called Hvarf and contains three new studio songs and two re-recorded songs from Sigur Ros debut album Von (1997). The second CD which is called Heim contains six songs recorded live on Iceland between 2006 and 2007 and features the string quartet Amiina. One song is taken from Von ( the title track), two songs are taken from Ágætis Byrjun (1999) ( Starálfur and the title track from that album), two songs are taken from () (2002) ( Samskeyti and Vaka) and one song is taken from Takk ... (2005).

The three new songs on the Hvarf CD are all pretty great. Typical melancholic and atmospheric post rock tracks as we´re used to from the band. The two re-recordings of Von and Hafsól are very enjoyable too. Much better and than their original versions which I found a bit too ambient and quite frankly annoying.

The live CD Heim is excellent too. Not that there´s much difference between the original versions of the songs and the live versions IMO ( except for Von which sounds pretty different). The song selection is excellent though and the pleasant and warm sound as well as the presence of the string quartet Amiina gives me a great experience anyway.

At first sight it might seem like a waste of money to get an album with only three new songs and live versions of songs that sounds very close to the originals but there´s something special about this release that really makes it a worthwhile purchase anyway. I can´t quite put my finger on the exact reason but I greatly enjoy this compilation and I can´t give it less than a 4 star rating. It would actually be a good place to start for newcomers IMO as it in addition to containing new material also could serve as a good best of compilation.

UMUR | 4/5 |