Pestilence - Consuming Impulse CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

3 stars In early 90's Pestilence were one of my favorite death metal bands. I wasn't huge fan Swedish death metal at the time to be honest. Swedish death metal was popular but I prefered American and some British bands (Carcass, Napalm Death). Pestilence were Dutch and I didn't know anything about that scene. But I enjoyed their music. I remember that amateur video clip to Out Of The Body and how much I liked that song. Now having fresh look on this release I don't think it's such great as I thought back then. It's just solid death metal release. Patrick Mameli is really good musician and same goes to second guitarist Patrick Utrewijk who joined the band to record this album. Production of this release is strong and surprisingly clear as for death metal band. Of course it's still very brutal music. Just more complex than on the first album (still not progressive but not bad as for death metal) and better produced. It deserves solid 3 stars for ambitions and putting European death metal on quality track. Good job.
LSDisease | 3/5 |