Blackfield - Blackfield II CD (album) cover

3 stars This is an edit, as I think I wrote less than 100 words last time.

What I said is that I really liked this album, but only gave 3 stars because I don't really think it is really a prog album - although it has some spacey/ psychedelic undertones and is somewhat "arty". 3 stars means it's non-essential - and in a Prog collection that would be about right. However, it also means it's "good" - and I mean really good.

If you like the more psyche-poppy Steve Wilson songs you find on Porcupine Tree's "Stupid Dream" and "Lightbulb Sun" then you'll like this - it appears to be a good channel for SW to follow this more pop-psyche-rock tendency - which he is really good at (and that is not meant as an insult at all).

This offers lovely melodies throughout, and is something your girlfriend is more likely to like than Porcupine Tree (sorry no offence meant to all you Prog-chicks!!!)

My favourite is "My Gift of Silence" - this is a truly lovely song, actually the most like Porcupine Tree (whereas surprisingly "Christenings" which guests Richard Barbieri and Gavin Harrison - is not so much)

I'm aware that I shouldn't compare Blackfield with Porc Tree - and that's right it's meant to be a different project with a different sound - and SW has succeeded - it is different, and a nice alternative channel for admirers of his gentler and more melodious music.

Oh yes - Aviv Geffen - yes his songs are good too.

Recommended - but be warned if you are a prog-purist.

PinkPangolin | 3/5 |