Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste CD (album) cover

ACQUIRING THE TASTE

Gentle Giant

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
4 stars This is actually my lowest rated Gentle Giant album from their solid seven album-streak (starting with the debut and all the way to Free Hand). But don't let that discourage you since this album is still better than anything else that you will hear from 99,9% other bands out there!

Wreck is my personal pick from this album since this is the first time that Kerry Minnear takes over the lead vocals in the middle of the tracks which results in a mellow bridge to section in contrast to Gary's guitar solo. Later Derek returns the song to a rockier style, just like he later will do on Way Of Life from In A Glass House or On Reflection from Free Hand. The Moon Is Down is a song that only began appreciating recently and it has now become one of my top ten Gentle Giant favorites. This is definitely a mighty achievement considering that all of their early albums are completely flawless and only can be distinguished from one another in comparison to each other.

Acquiring The Taste is another excellent release from one of the genre's strongest bands and I would recommend it just as much to beginners as I would to those who have already acquired their taste for Gentle Giant's music.

***** star songs: The House, The Street, The Room (6:01) Wreck (4:36) The Moon Is Down (4:45)

**** star songs: Pantagruel's Nativity (6:50) Edge Of Twilight (3:47) Acquiring The Taste (1:36) Black Cat (3:51) Plain Truth (7:36)

Total rating: 4,39