Gentle Giant - Octopus CD (album) cover

OCTOPUS

Gentle Giant

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
4 stars Octopus or Octo-opus, as some might call it, is exactly what the title implies. Namely an opus consisting of eight parts!

The Advent Of Panurge kicks things off with a continuation of Pantagruel's Nativity-story from Acquiring The Taste-album. This song is actually a lot stronger than it's predecessor, vocal intro makes it one of my top five favorite albums intros, among which Looking For Someone from Genesis' album Trespass is a strong contender for the top spot. Knots is probably the bands most notorious concert extravaganza that needs no introduction while Think Of Me With Kindness is the most beautiful Gentle Giant ballad!

At the reunion concert, on April 24 2009, the band played decent versions of The Advent Of Panurge and The Boys In The Band. But for me, the biggest highlight of the evening was when Kerry Minnear started singing Think Of Me With Kindness! Considering that this was the only song that he sang the lead on during the entire gig it was one of those goosebumps-once-in-a-lifetime concert experiences that I will carry with me for the rest of my life! I recommend looking up this performance on YouTube!

Octopus was the last album to feature Phil Shulman in the band and his presence would definitely be missed on the three masterpieces that Gentle Giant would record after his departure.

***** star songs: The Advent Of Panurge (4:45) A Cry For Everyone (4:06) Knots (4:11) Think Of Me With Kindness (3:31)

**** star songs: Raconteur Troubadour (4:03) The Boys In The Band (4:34) Dog's Life (3:13) River (5:52)

Total rating: 4,48