Sigur Rós - Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do (EP) CD (album) cover

BA BA TI KI DI DO (EP)

Sigur Rós

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
2 stars Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do is an EP released on the 24th of March 2004 by Icelandic post rock/ experimental rock act Sigur Ros. The three track suite are songs Sigur Ros wrote for Merce Cunningham's dance piece Split Sides. Radiohead also composed music for Split Sides but their contribution has yet to be released.

The music is almost entirely instrumental except for the strange word in the title which is repeatedly spoken in the last song Di Do. As mentioned the three songs seque into each other to form a suite of sorts. The music is very minimalistic and atmospheric in nature but that´s not unusual for Sigur Ros. There is one important part missing from the music on this EP IMO though and that´s the high pitched and emotional singing of Jón Thor Birgission. Without his vocal input the music is reduced to a sound experiment to my ears. A pleasant experiment but not really something that suits my taste and I can imagine other fans of the band feeling the same way. If you´re open to ambient atmosheric sound experiments this might be your thing. I prefer the extremely beautiful and more song oriented album releases from the band and I can´t give this release more than a 2 star rating. Listen before purchase is my advice.

The sound quality and the musicianship is excellent as usual.

UMUR | 2/5 |