Khan - Space Shanty CD (album) cover

SPACE SHANTY

Khan

Canterbury Scene

Werneflo
5 stars This is my first review (yay) and I figured I might as well start with my favourite album of all time. I'm going to break this down to reviewing each song on it's own, and then giving a final verdict.

1. Space Shanty: The cacophonous opening of the album makes for a very interesting first listen. "Who would begin a album with this?" was my first thought as soon as the intro to Space Shanty started streaming through my headphones, and I prepared myself for the worst in terms of excessively pretentious and hard-to-grasp rock. But it doesn't long before the song calms down and changes into a great break-laden riff which in mere seconds made me realize that I was going to love this album. The song then continues with as many turns and twists as is advisable for a prog-rock song, and none of the twists feel forced or annoying, not even the circus-like Hammond interlude in the middle.

2. Stranded: The album goes from the majestic and sweeping ending of Space Shanty to this song. It is a mellow, yet hopeful song which features some absolutely gorgeous bass-lines and haunting vocals. This is the first song where the lyrics really come forth properly, and wow, are they good or what. Throughout the whole album, the lyrics straddle on the line of pretentious and awesome, but never quite fall too much to any of these sides and thus keep an amazing balance. Of course, this is prog rock, and the whole song can't be calm. Around the middle of the song, the guitar breaks into an absolutely awesome riff which creates some real contrasts with the previous theme of the song. This twist is just as smooth as the others on this album, and I can't understand how they managed to make everything so smooth and... awesome.

3. Mixed Up Man of the Mountains: This song starts out in a dubious way, but quickly removes any doubt from your mind when the first riff gets going. It's a (as usual) shifting song that is very hard to place on any kind of a spectrum. It features some of this albums most psychedelic parts, like the strange vocal performances that follow the complex guitar and Hammond melodies now and then.

4. Driving to Amsterdam: Best song on the album. It starts of with a strange and jumpy riff and then goes on an incredible journey featuring sweeping moments of beauty, fast, happy riffs and some of the best lyrics I have ever heard.

5. Stargazers: Another strange opening riff, which this time stretches a bit further than just a few seconds into the song. Once the song really starts, you can say that it's the most "normal" song on the album. It's a happy-sounding song with lots of breaks here and there, but the breaks are never quite as strange as in the other songs on the album.

6. Hollow Stone: A long and sweeping song with some really beautiful and atmospheric Hammond-playing throughout it's entirety. At many points you can say it's really spiritual-sounding and "swishy", and of course this song is, just like the others, perfectly executed throughout all the twists and turns it takes.

Conclusion: This is a masterpiece. This is probably the only album in which I can't find a single negative word to say. The instruments are perfectly played, the vocals are dynamic, and the feel of the whole album is constantly awe-inspiring. It's a shame they didn't keep at it and released a few more albums. This album is just too good to be so overlooked by "non-prog-fanatics".

Werneflo | 5/5 |