Isildurs Bane - Cheval - Volonté de rocher  CD (album) cover

CHEVAL - VOLONTÉ DE ROCHER

Isildurs Bane

ZowieZiggy
2 stars This album is quite different from their early recordings (especially their first one, which is my favourite) and their two latest ones which were frankly heading the jazz-rock style.

There is a lot more chord instruments (sometimes too many to my taste like during ''33 Years'') which conveys almost a classical feel to the whole. The story which is depicted in Atavachron's review is whispered throughout the album (in French: ''a coeur vaillant, rien d'impossible'').

I have to admit that this orientation (classical prog?) is not my cup of tea. In the style, I far much preferred a band like ''Renaissance'' for instance. This effort sounds at times almost as new age music (''The Aged'') but without reaching the grandeur of an Oldfield.

I am not convinced with this work either: the horns in ''Present'' and the orchestra in the short and closing ''The Eight Wonder'' are definitely not of my liking. This album just doesn't work for me, but I understand that some of us think different and praise this album more than I do.

Two stars as far as I'm concerned..

ZowieZiggy | 2/5 |