Frank Zappa - The Lost Episodes CD (album) cover

THE LOST EPISODES

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

UMUR
3 stars The Lost Episodes is an album release by American experimental rock artist Frank Zappa. The Lost Episodes is an archive album released in 1996 after Frank Zappaīs untimely death on the 4th of December 1993. All songs on the album are unreleased or unreleased versions of previously released tracks. The songs are recorded between 1958 and 1981.

There are some very early blues recordings by Frank Zappa and his youth friend Captain Beefheart on the album as well as pre-Mothers of Invention recordings from the early sixties ( Fountain of Love, Any Way the Wind Blows are here in very early versions) and some recordings from the classical movie score Zappa made for his English teacher for his Run Home Slow movie. Thereīs a instrumental lounge jazz version of Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance from 1961 that deserves a mention for being very different from the version that appears on We're Only in It for the Money (1968). The really interesting songs appear towards the middle and the end of the album though. Songs like the unreleased 1967 recording of Wedding Dress Song/ Handsome Cabin Boy is really good and the fantastic Ricky Lancelotti led version of Wonderful Wino is also one of the highlights on The Lost Episodes. It would have fit right in on Overnight Sensation (1973). Other songs I treasure on the album are the 1972-73 bandīs studio versions of Kung Fu, RDNZL and Inca Roads. Really great fusion/ experimental rock. I Don't Wanna Get Drafted appears in the single version. I enjoy the version from You Are What You is (1981) but this version is great too. Note the excellent piano part.

The sound quality varies from rather poor on some of the early recordings to really good on most of the songs.

The Lost Episodes is a good and interesting compilation of unreleased songs by Frank Zappa. The quality is not equally as high on every track though and I wouldnīt call the album mandatory listening. There are a couple of gems here though and I will give a 3 star rating.

UMUR | 3/5 |