Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients  CD (album) cover

TESTIMONY OF THE ANCIENTS

Pestilence

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars This album was sensational when it was released. Death Metal with melodic progressive parts was a new invention back then. I bought it and I have just dusted it off for the benefit of PA. Is it as good today as back then ?

The history has not been good to this album. It still sounds good, but I can now see it's faults and limits. This album feels and sounds like a DEATH album. The vocals, the instruments and the sound is the same. It is a good DEATH clone, but still a clone. Just like MORGOTH and CANCER was DEATH clones.

My other gripe is the lack of coherence between the death and the prog parts. The music is either death or prog. The horror movies parts inbetween is also pretty annoying and splits up the album into pieces instead of being a music album.

The good things about this album is some very good songs, good vocals, bass and guitars. It is a good album. I raved about it when it was released. Today; I just note that the world has moved on.

3 stars