Robin Taylor - Cloze Test Terror CD (album) cover

CLOZE TEST TERROR

Robin Taylor

RIO/Avant-Prog

UMUR
3 stars Cloze Test Terror is as far as I“ve been able to find out the second full-length studio album by Danish experimental rock/ jazz artist and producer Robin Taylor. The debut being Essay (1991). Born in 1956 Robin Taylor made his album debut rather late in his life but his output since 1991 has been extensive with an ( at this moment) output of more than twenty albums. He is not new to composing and playing music though as he has been playing music with several bands throughout the seventies and eighties in addition to producing and making sound experiements.

The music on Cloze Test Terror is a bit hard to pin down as there are influences from many genres on the album. There“s a slight jazz influence even though it“s not obvious in all songs on the album. Avant garde rock elements and experimental sounds are also a part of the sound. This is not really avant garde though. The album is quite accessible. Ambient soundscapes are also a big part of the sound. Robin Taylor“s guitar style is the highlight here for me. He is a great guitarist which is fully showcased in his solo on Day In Some Kind of Life: e) Final Part 5. There“s not enough of his playing on the album IMO though and the atmospheric ambient soundscapes ( even though dark in mood which is something I prefer) do drag on a bit too long at times. The drums on the album are manipulated percussion ( some electronic drums too if I“m correct) for the most part and a real drummer would have made the songs a bit more dynamic if you ask me.

The musicianship is excellent. Robin Taylor“s skills are considerable and his compositional ideas are intriguing. Guest appearances by Jakob Mygind on sax ( only on Postman's Nightmare & The Fast Ride) and Anders Schumann on drums ( only on Day In Some Kind of Life: e) Final Part 5) add some good variation to the album.

The production is a bit lo-fi but still enjoyable.

Cloze Test Terror is a good album by Robin Taylor. It“s a bit hard to see who the target group is though and that“s where I think this album will fail in many people“s eyes. Personally I find the album enjoyable but not excellent. A 3 star rating is deserved. I“ll be looking forward to listening to more from Robin Taylor though as there are many great ideas on the album.

UMUR | 3/5 |