Frank Zappa - The Mystery Disc CD (album) cover

THE MYSTERY DISC

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

UMUR
1 stars Mystery Disc is a compilation album by American experimental rock artist Frank Zappa. The songs are compiled from the two mystery discs from The Old Masters, Box One (1985) and The Old Masters, Box Two (1986). A few songs have been omitted from the original releases to make it fit on a single CD format. Most notably the Big Leg Emma/ Why Don'tcha Do Me Right? single from The Old Masters, Box One (1985) Mystery Disc #1 ( those two songs are included on the CD version of Absolutely Free (1967) so no loss there). and some of the Mothers of Invention concert from The Old Masters, Box Two (1986) Mystery Disc #2 ( the omitted part of the concert is included on Ahead of Their Time (1993) so again no loss there).

The Mystery Disc CD album concentrates on the early output of Frank Zappa and almost all 35 tracks are pre-Mothers of Invention recordings. Most are very short dialogue pieces or badly recorded blues or rīnīb songs and the most interesting parts of the album already appears on other recordings like Ahead of Their Time (1993) and Lost Episodes (1996). To be quite honest I find Mystery Disc to be a totally dispensable album and I wouldnīt even recommend it to the hardcore fans ( I am one myself). Sure thereīs the occasional hilarious dialogue or nice little section but as mentioned the best parts have already appeared elsewhere giving this album very little value. I canīt defend giving this album more than a 1 star rating.

UMUR | 1/5 |