Various Artists (Tributes) - String Quartet Tribute to Dream Theater CD (album) cover

STRING QUARTET TRIBUTE TO DREAM THEATER

Various Artists (Tributes)

Various Genres

FroSniTe
3 stars Excellent addition to any Dream Theater music collection. Apocalyptica-like tribute to great songs of DT. This is non-essential for common Prog rock collections mainly because it's a string quartet (very talented one). They reproduce DT's songs entirely, even the sound effects like the beginning of Ouverture 1928, The Dance of Eternity and As I Am. Some parts may seem weird as it cannot rely on the strong drum parts on certain songs, but overall, it sounds great! They sometimes use their instrument to make percussions.

I know there are still some more interesting albums to buy, but this a great side-prog. It is very intersting to hear the string version and then listen to the original one! The Dance of eternity is in my top 3 prefered DT song and is very nicely done here.

My ratings mix my appreciation of the original song and the perfomance/arrangments of the quartet.

1- Ouverture 1928 : 4/5 2- Pull me under : 3/5 3- Lifting Shadows Off a Dream : 3/5 4- As I Am : 4/5 5- Ytse Jam : 4/5 6- The Dance of Eternity 5/5 7- Hell's Kitchen : 4/5 8- Peruvian Skies : 3/5

4.1/5 for DT fans

3.2/5 for others (this is great, beautiful music, somewhat prog by itself, but not rock)

Great arrangments, great work!

FroSniTe | 3/5 |