The Soft Machine - Fourth CD (album) cover

The Soft Machine

Canterbury Scene

3 stars I listened a lot to this album lately and I must say that it's quite an interesting album. Listening to this album twice or three times in a row doesn't seem to bother me. However, at some moments the band seems to be lost in it's own experimentation. 'Fletcher's Blemish' is a piece with one brilliant melodie, but this is interrupted by a long and large dosis of noise, which just seems pointless to me. Ratledge's 'Teeth' is in my opinion the highlight of the album. Virtually has got brilliant melodies, but these melodies sometimes seem to end to soon.

It's understandable, why Wyatt left the band, because the band seems to be drifting even more from the Canterbury weirdness into Jazz/Rock, which he didn't like. This was also why he didn't wrote any song on this album and didn't sang. All in all it's a very interesting work to listen to but not the best work by the band.

Foolsdrummer | 3/5 |