Jimi Hendrix - The Cry of Love CD (album) cover

Jimi Hendrix

3 stars This is the first posthumous studio album from Hendrix and definitely the one that is the closest to what Jimi would have liked to be.

There aren't such overdubbing as during later efforts to revive the memory of this great musician (like Douglas or even his sister will do later on). What we have here is almost the album as it would have been released if Jimi would have been still alive.

Most of the titles were achieved, even if some did receive a small edition work; but nothing exaggerated. Like a new drum play during ''Drifting''. Lots of tracks featured here already had a serious life during concerts and can be therefore considered as totally legitimate of his work (''Freedom', ''Easy Ryder'') and to a lesser extent ''Straight Ahead'' and ''In From the Storm''.

One of my fave track on this ''Cry Of Love'' is the fine rock ballad ''Angel''. Some sort of post ''Hey Joe'' kind of tune, full of emotion during the vocal parts (one of his best IMO) it is all sweetness and peace of mind.

I would recommend this album to any Hendrix fan of course, but not only. It is a good release that fully respect the view of the artist before his death. Mitchell did a lot of work to release this album as such (along with Cramer of course).

This is not a masterpiece (I have already mentioned that I far much prefer the live side from the master) but a good album. It is available for cheap on the second-hand Amazon marketplace. A combined CD version also groups this album together with ''War Heroes'' for a decent price. This is a very good option as well.

Three stars (seven out of ten actually).

ZowieZiggy | 3/5 |