The Moody Blues - Strange Times  CD (album) cover

STRANGE TIMES

The Moody Blues

UMUR
2 stars Strange Times is the fifteenth full-length studio album by British pop/ rock act The Moody Blues. Itīs also the first album in 8 years by the band the last one being Keys of the Kingdom from 1991.

The music on Strange Times is well written, well played and well produced adult oriented radio friendly pop. Itīs not very challenging and personally I find it rather bland and uninteresting. If you enjoy polished and well produced mature pop this might suit your taste. For me itīs a 2 star rating. The songs are melodic and catchy but 14 polished and lyrically rather cheesy ( just take a listen to the lyrics in Haunted. Dripping with honey) commercial pop songs are a bit too much to swallow for someone like me. Thereīs even a version with 2 additional bonus tracks on. Even without the two bonus tracks the playing time is about 70 minutes and thatīs way too long for this type of music IMO. They could easily have cut 5 or 6 tracks from the album and it would have been a more tight and listenable affair for us casual listeners.

The musicianship is of course excellent. These are experienced musicians. Four out of the five from the classic lineup from the sixties/ seventies are are present in the lineup on Strange Times. Only Mike Pinder is missing.

The Moody Blues never excited me much. Not even their classic albums from the sixties and the seventies really got me out of my chair. I do acknowlege that those were good albums that just didnīt suit my personal taste though but Strange Times totally lack any form of experimentation or innovative ideas and as I mentioned above I canīt give more than a 2 star rating.

UMUR | 2/5 |