Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn CD (album) cover

OMMADAWN

Mike Oldfield

UMUR
3 stars Ommadawn is the third full-length studio album by British progressive rock artist Mike Oldfield ( excluding The Orchestral Tubular Bells (1975). After the tremendous succes of Tubular Bells (1973) and the almost equally large succes of Hergest Ridge (1974) the young Mike Oldfield ( he was only 20 when Tubular Bells was released) made another album with two side long tracks.

The music on Ommadawn will feel very familiar to those who know how the music on Mike Oldfieldīs first two albums sound like. The music is pre-dominantly instrumental and classical inspired pop/ rock of some sort. Iīm often reminded of soundtrack music while listening to Ommadawn. The music is a bit repetitive and theme based. The parts that resemble rock music are very few and the music has more of an ambient feel to it. Slow building.

The musicianship is excellent. Mike Oldfield plays acoustic, classical & electric guitars, acoustic & electric basses, mandoline, harp, bouzouki, banjo, grand piano, spinet, electric organs, synths, bodhran, glockenspiel and assorted percussions on the album. In addition to that instrumentation he has various guests on the album playing such instruments as tympani, panpipes and cello. This of course gives the album a colourful soundscape.

The production is well done and professional.

While Ommadawn definitely is a professional and experimental album it doesnīt really do nothing for me personally. It reminds me very much of how his first two albums sounded like and they didnīt do much for me either. I think all three albums lack emotional impact. They are simply too polished and sweet for my taste and they leave me indifferent. Ommadawn is quality music though ( just not to my taste) and I will rate it with 3 stars.

UMUR | 3/5 |