Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory CD (album) cover

METROPOLIS PART 2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY

Dream Theater

pgfan92
5 stars I have listened to Queensryche, Fates Warning, Opeth (not as much as the others, death metal is not my thing), Pain of Salvation, Ayreon, Symphony X, and NONE of them have achieved to emotionally move me as much as Dream Theater has, though I quite like Ayreon, Pain of Salvation, and Symphony X. My interests do not lie in their performance abilities, which are exceptional, but lie in their compositional skills. Their melodies (only in combination with beautiful chord progressions) send chills down my spine at times and at other times send a tear sliding down my cheek.

Some have said that John Petrucci needs to slow down. David Gilmour has said that he uses speed as decoration to beauty. John Petrucci does exactly this, but does one more thing: he uses speed to create a mood of nervousness or unrest. Most other metal bands I've heard have a hard time with putting mood into their speed, but Dream Theater has no problem with that. However, it is a subtle that you must really listen for.

The story-line is far too complex for me to have any deep understanding of it, so I won't comment on it except to say that I won't.

I sincerely believe this is a masterpiece.

pgfan92 | 5/5 |