The Soft Machine - Bundles CD (album) cover

The Soft Machine

Canterbury Scene

2 stars Not the album I was expecting. I had the Softs album for a while and heard that this one was better but I find Alan Holdsworth and his guitar playing a bit on the boring side. Give me Elton Dean and Hugh Hopper and their crazy soloing any day, but this does nothing for me. The only remotely inspiring tracks were the Mike Rateledge number(s), Jenkins material is all wank and no feeling! At this point they really ceased to have been the Soft Machine and should have changed their name accordingly rather than let it become a franchise! Soft Machine in name only, not by numbers!
Philo | 2/5 |