IQ - Frequency CD (album) cover

3 stars Another "well done" homework by IQ

IQ are one of the most easily recognizable bands in the world, even if they almost are a Marillion Mark I clone as many others. Their sound and their vocalist makes it possible.

This new work "Frequency" is almost at the same level of the preceding album. What I'm trying to say is that you can listen to the album and say: "Ok. It's quite good". But you never shudder with surprise. You already know what they're gonna play and what kind of guitar passage and solos you will listen, what kind of bass job you will find and the breaks and fills of the drummer.

In my opinion this is good for enthusiastic fans and for occasional listeners, but not for proggers all around.

What I have found good is that the new keyboard player tries to give his best with some particular sounds and some good ambientation and intervention.

So I cannot give more than 3 stars because of the difference between a good homework and a good classwork... In a classwork you MUST add a little touch of class, more genius and something which surprises your teacher to make him raise your vote!

progpromoter | 3/5 |